The one where I make a list
So what have I learnt after finishing my first half marathon …
1. I am actually a bit better at this than I thought I was, or the pressure spurs me on to run harder.
2. I can run 10 miles without stopping … go me!
3. I have some amazingly supportive friends and family who all kept telling me I could do it, when I didn’t think I could.
4. I look awful in race photographs – a heavy, big boobed, red faced, plodding mess! In my head I looked like Liz McColgan or Paula Radcliffe … the reality is very different!!!
5. I hurt … not during the race but two days later. My knee, my ankles, my hips, my thighs! Going up and downstairs feels like climbing Everest.
6. I have a blister the size of a 10p on the end of my toe. It is under the nail and my nail is likely to fall off. Yuck! Apparently putting vasaline on the ends can help – I was told this after the event!
7. Once a song gets in my head, it doesn’t leave until mile 12. For 12 miles I kept singing to myself the chorus (and only the chorus) of ‘Modern Girl’ by Sheena Easton!!! I didn’t even know I knew the song! I have now downloaded it and added it to my running playlist.
8. Lake Vyrnwy is a beautiful place and certainly recommended as a place to run a HM. I will definitely go back next year and try for a faster time.
9. I am my own worst enemy. I was ready to give in after 1 mile, I panicked I was going to be sick, I worried I was going to trip over or trip someone up and I fretted about seeing anyone else I knew!!
10. Finally … I thoroughly enjoyed myself and want to do it all again!!!!